No Entry Fee this Year: Bulbul 2013 Playwriting Competition (plays must engage with the Arab world)
Deadline: 31 May 2013
Akkas Al-Ali, Sandpit Arts's Co-artistic Director, sent this call for entries for Bulbul 2013. As last year, they are looking for four thirty-minute plays which will be showcased in the autumn. The two best plays will be developed into full-length productions at the Brighton Fringe 2014. Unlike last year, Akkas is happy to announce that entry for Bulbul 2013 is completely free.
Following the sell-out success of Bulbul 2012, we’re really excited to announce Bulbul 2013 our second annual playwriting competition for new writers. We’re looking for four 30-minute plays that engage with the Arab world. This year’s theme is: Crying Over the Ruins.
We’re going right back to the ancient poets as they stand nostalgically at the deserted campsites. How you respond to this is entirely up to you. All we ask is that your work is courageous, displays a unique voice, a strong storytelling element and a cohesive narrative.
The deadline for submission is 31st May 2013. The winning entries will be performed by a professional cast at Brighton’s Nightingale Theatre in autumn 2013. As with Bulbul 2012, two of these plays will be selected for further development for the Brighton Fringe 2014.
The winning plays will be chosen by an independent panel of judges. Last year’s panel was made up of Chris Taylor (director, New Writing South), Steven Brett (artistic director, The Nightingale Theatre), Tanushka Marah (artistic director, Company:Collisions) and Diyan Zora (creative director, Swivel Theatre Company).
Our current productions at the Brighton Fringe – Tunnel by Mags Chalcraft, and Gather Ye Rosebuds by Silva Semerciyan – were both winners of Bulbul 2012.
GUIDELINES FOR ENTRY:
Download: application form
- Entry is free.
- Scripts must have a playing time of approximately 30 minutes.
- Scripts must have a maximum playing cast of four actors.
- Scripts should require minimal set and/or props. Our focus is on the writing!
- Please do not send us monologues, musicals, adaptations or plays for children.
- Only original, previously unproduced/unpublished scripts that are inherently theatrical with live staging at their core will be accepted. Please do not send scripts for television, radio or film.
- All scripts must be in English, typed in 12pt font and double spaced.
- Scripts (either in Word or PDF) must be submitted with a completed application form to email@example.com. Please do not put your name or contact information anywhere on your script as all submissions will be read anonymously.
- Applicants must be aged 16 or over. There is no upper age limit.
- You can submit up to three plays.
- Please note, we are unable to return scripts.
- Please do not send any amendments or further drafts once your script has been submitted.
- Please do not send cassettes, CDs, videos or sheet music with your script.
- We are unable to enter into any correspondence about scripts (except with shortlisted entries).
- The deadline for submission is 31st May 2013.
- The four winning entries will be announced on 31st July 2013.
For queries/ submissions: firstname.lastname@example.org